30 April 2012

What We're Eating

We are moving in approximately 5 weeks and I have entered the full-scale pack-out mode. In the past week and a half I have roasted three chickens, which is clearly a sign of my mind being elsewhere - roast chicken + seasonal vegetable + rice is one of my easiest fall back meals.

So as we busy ourselves with packing up the house I may be doing more of these quick snapshot posts of delicious things we come across. Luckily we still have our pots and pans for the next few weeks.

DSC_0051
Kale Pesto
Blanch kale for 1 minute in boiling water, drain, and substitute for basil in your favorite pesto recipe (we made ours with walnuts, parmesan, lemon zest, and olive oil). I found this needs more salt than regular pesto so season to taste. Great on pasta and also spread on crackers as a snack.

DSC_0077
Mango Salad
Diced fresh mango, unsweetened dried coconut, chopped scallions (green parts only), toasted cashews or peanuts, lime juice, salt. Seriously tasty and great alongside grilled chicken or anything spicy.

freekiah with cheese and mushrooms
Freekiah with Mushrooms and Cheese
Cook freekiah (toasted green wheat) just as you would risotto. Finish with a handful of shredded cheese. Top with sauteed mushrooms. This is my attempt to replicate something I had in Jordan once - if you're Jordanian and have a better recipe for freekiah bi jibne please let me know!


DSC_0078 
Ginger Cookies from Good to The Grain
As we discussed previously, this cookbook is awesome, and it hasn't failed me yet. Better yet, the recipes -all made with whole grains- just taste like delicious baked goods, no icky health food vibe to them at all. This may be one of my favorite baking books since (the tragically out-of-print) The Last Course. We recently made the honey-amaranth-flax waffle/pancake recipe, which is killer. Just go buy the book people.

DSC_0085

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all these ideas especially the mango salad ! Thanks for a great blog.

susanr said...

Good luck with your move and keep posting!

Alicia said...

I love the cookbook "Good to the Grain" but I've not yet tried that recipe so thank you for telling me about it.

Lauren said...

Hi Mercedes!

I nominated your blog for the Liebster Blog Award! Hope it sends some traffic your way! I love reading your blog!

Lyn said...

that mango salad looks really, really yummy! going to borrow ur idea of adding the coconut... =)

Mrs. Ed said...

The mango salad looks wonderful.

giaonhanquocte said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt hiện nay.